Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Score One for the Sweet Potato

Remember last post how I told you I didn't like sweet potatoes? Well, just a couple days after I wrote about that my mom made something involving sweet potatoes that I absolutely loved! What could have possibly gotten this sweet potato hatin' girl to enjoy the previously loathed starch? Thai-spiced Sweet Potato Soup. This stuff was delicious. Creamy, bursting with flavor, the perfect way to fill the tummy on brisk fall evenings.

Ingredients:
  • 1 Tablespoon canola or peanut oil (coconut oil would probably work well too)
  • 1 onion -chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic -chopped
  • 2 teaspoons red curry paste
  • 2 pounds sweet potatoes-peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 3 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar (my mom says she thinks agave would work well, will be trying that next time)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and red curry paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the sweet potato, red lentils, stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little. Puree the soup in two batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan and stir in the citrus juice. Serve garnished with cilantro.


I highly recommend this soup. It's really so delicious; the Thai seasonings give the soup lots of flavor while the coconut milk and sweet potato contribute to the great creamy texture, not to mention add lots of flavor themselves.


What is your favorite fall food?

I"m really going to try to post more regularly in the future. I made numerous yummy dishes recently that I look forward to sharing with you. I've been experimenting with making homemade whole-wheat bread. I"m still working on perfecting the recipe but certainly be expecting that soon. I'm currently in the process of making some home made nutter butter cups, so I better go check on those. Yum!


Thanks for reading,
Ann Claire

3 comments:

teenagehealthfreak said...

hooray!!! i'm so glad you changed your mind! my NEW fave fall food is butternut squash..i just tried some roasted...to me it's like a sweet potato/pumpkin mix and it's much more creamy!!!! (you should try it!) :) can't wait to see what else you've been cookin'!

Anonymous said...

omg, this soup looks delicious! can't wait to try it out!

my favorite fall food is defintely pumpkin...and figs...and cinnamon...and apples...yeah, pretty much EVERYTHING XD

looking forward to some of those recipes you've been working on!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I JUST made and tasted my first sweet potato soup/stew yesterday and it was so freaking good. Then again, I knew it would be good because for me, anything sweet potato is a winner.

One of my favorite fall foods.. sweet potatoes (actually they're a yearly favorite) or oatmeal (but I eat this yearly too..).